Supporting our military

Providing a helping hand to our invaluable service personnel and their families

Armed Forces Support

Our site is dedicated to providing information and support for past and current members of the British armed forces who have suffered injury or accident whilst training or in active service. We understand that serving in the military can be physically and emotionally demanding, and that injuries or accidents can have a significant impact on both an individual’s health and their ability to continue serving. That is why we are here to provide support and guidance to help military personnel navigate the process of seeking compensation and getting the care they need. Whether you are currently serving or have already left the military, we are here to help. Please explore our website to learn more about the resources and support available to you.

Serving in the UK Armed Forces is not a typical occupation. However, since the Crown Immunity rules were altered in 1987, that is now how the military and those who have served or are serving in the Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marines are viewed by the British legal system. This means that military personnel are subject to the same Health and Safety Legislation as civilians in the workplace since 1987.

For most daily duties and training exercises within the armed forces, the UK courts do not differentiate between military and civilian jobs when evaluating issues of negligence and liability. Apart from in a few limited circumstances in particularly in relation to combat situations.

Before 1987, military personnel who suffered injuries or illnesses due to their service had limited options other than internal compensation schemes like the War Pensions Agency. This was because Crown Immunity prevented civil action. While these schemes have been a financial lifeline for many former servicemembers, the awards are often much lower than what could be obtained through court proceedings.

Military personal injury compensation cases require specialized legal knowledge and experienced solicitors to ensure they are handled properly and that injured personnel receive the compensation they deserve. Fortunately, there are a number of law firms that have divisions with specialised solicitors that specifically work on obtaining compensation for injuries suffered by current and past members of the British armed forces.

A selection of useful pages for past and previous members of the armed forces that may be considering seeking help with making a compensation claim against the Ministry of Defence include the following with a brief description of the contents.

Military Deafness Claims

If you have suffered hearing damage as a result of your time in the military, you may be eligible for compensation. Military personnel are often exposed to loud noises in various situations, including gunfire, exploding bombs, and jet engines, and can develop hearing damage from a single loud sound or long-term exposure to high volume. If your hearing damage was not your fault and occurred during military service, you may be able to file a claim for military hearing loss or tinnitus. Approximately 300,000 former military personnel have hearing damage or tinnitus, and while some may not want to pursue a claim, many are entitled to seek compensation. In 1987, Crown Immunity, which granted immunity to the Ministry of Defence (MOD) from prosecution, was lifted, allowing military personnel to file claims for compensation for injuries or illnesses suffered during their time working for the MOD, even if they were previously denied through the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) or the War Pension Scheme (WPS). Hearing damage can significantly affect an individual’s quality of life and may be caused by a variety of factors, including inadequate training or protection in loud environments, negligent use of weapons, incorrect diagnosis, and lack of proper hearing protection. Read more…

Other Military Claims

Armed forces personnel may be able to seek compensation if they are injured during their service, especially if the injury was not their fault. While serving in the military carries a certain level of risk, many soldiers do not expect to be injured during their training periods. Causes of injury in the military include defective equipment, cold and heat injuries, medical negligence, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Defective equipment, such as faulty guns or vehicles, can lead to injuries, and soldiers should be provided with appropriate protective gear to prevent cold and heat injuries. Medical negligence, such as misdiagnosis or inadequate treatment, can also lead to injury, and soldiers have the same rights as civilians to seek compensation for poor medical care. PTSD is a condition that can develop after exposure to traumatic events and can cause symptoms such as flashbacks, avoidance of activities or places that trigger memories of the event, and emotional numbness. If you have been injured during your military service, it is important to seek the help of experienced solicitors to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. Read more…

Lariam (Mefloquine) in the Armed Forces

Lariam is a brand name for Mefloquine, a medication used to prevent malaria, a life-threatening disease transmitted by mosquitoes. Military personnel deployed to areas with a high risk of malaria may have been prescribed Mefloquine to prevent contracting the disease. However, the drug has been linked to severe side effects, some of which can be worse than the effects of malaria itself. In 2020, the UK Ministry of Defence (MoD) admitted to failing to assess the risks and warn of potential side effects of the drug, leading to numerous Lariam claims against the MoD. The side effects of Mefloquine can range from mild to serious. If you are a member of the armed forces and are unsure whether you have been prescribed Mefloquine, you should contact your senior medical officer. Military veterans or reservists should contact their local NHS GP, who can obtain military medical records and advise on whether Mefloquine was prescribed. Read more…

FAQ for Armed Forces Personnel Considering a Compensation Claim

What types of injuries are covered by compensation claims for military personnel?

Any physical or psychological injury that occurred during time in the military and was caused by service may be covered by a compensation claim. This can include injuries sustained in combat, training accidents, and injuries caused by inadequate equipment or medical care.

How do I know if I am eligible to file a claim for compensation?

If you are a current or former member of the UK armed forces and were injured during your service, you may be eligible to file a claim for compensation. You should speak to a lawyer who specializes in military compensation claims to determine your eligibility.

What do I need to do to start the process of making a compensation claim?

To start the process of making a compensation claim, you should speak to a lawyer who specializes in military compensation claims. They will be able to advise you on the specific steps you need to take, which may include gathering medical records and other documentation to support your claim.

How long do I have to make a compensation claim?

The time limit for making a compensation claim for an injury sustained during military service depends on the specific circumstances of your case. You should speak to a lawyer as soon as possible to determine the time limits that apply to your case.

Can I make a compensation claim if I was discharged from the military due to my injury?

Yes, you may be able to make a compensation claim if you were discharged from the military due to an injury sustained during your service.

How long does the process of making a compensation claim typically take?

The process of making a compensation claim can take some time, as it involves gathering evidence and negotiating with the relevant authorities. It is important to be patient and allow sufficient time for your lawyer to build a strong case on your behalf.

Will I have to pay any fees to make a compensation claim?

Many lawyers who specialize in military compensation claims work on a no win, no fee basis, which means that you will not have to pay any fees upfront. If your claim is successful, you will be required to pay a percentage of your compensation award to your lawyer as a fee.

Can I make a compensation claim if I was injured while serving in a different country?

Yes, you may be able to make a compensation claim if you were injured while serving in a different country. You should speak to a lawyer who specializes in military compensation claims to determine your eligibility.

Extra Support for Military Families

Many local councils in the UK offer support to military families in their communities along with support from central government, specialist charities and non-profit organisations. Here are a few examples of the types of support that could be on offer:


Some councils have dedicated housing schemes or preferences for military families, which may include priority on waiting lists or rent concessions.


Some councils may have policies in place to support military children in schools, such as providing additional support for children who have experienced disruption due to a parent’s deployment.

Financial support

Military families may be able to access financial assistance for household expenses, such as grants or help with council tax payments.

Health and wellbeing

There are a range of services available to support the health and wellbeing of military families, including mental health support, counselling, and family support groups.

Community support

There are a number of organizations that offer support to military families, including charities, community groups, and local councils. These organizations may offer practical assistance, such as help with household tasks, or social support, such as organized activities and events.

It is worth contacting your local council or Armed Forces Covenant to see what support is available for military families in your area.

Armed Forces Support Organisations in the UK

There are a number of incredible organisations whose sole aim is to support and improve the lives of UK military service personnel and their families.

We are proud to list these here –

Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion charity supports members of the British Armed Forces, veterans, and their families.

Help for Heroes

Help for Heroes supports wounded, injured, and sick veterans and service personnel.

SSAFA (Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association)

The SSAFA charity provides practical, emotional, and financial support to members of the Armed Forces, veterans, and their families.

Combat Stress

The Combat Stress organization provides mental health support to veterans and their families.

RAF Benevolent Fund

The RAF Benevolent Fund supports current and former members of the Royal Air Force and their families.

The Army Benevolent Fund

The Army Benevolent Fund provides support to current and former members of the British Army and their families.

British Limbless Ex-Servicemen’s Association (BLESMA)

The British Limbless Ex-Servicemen’s Association organization supports limbless veterans and their families.

Veterans’ Gateway

The Veterans’ Gateway organization connects veterans with a range of support services, including housing, employment, and health and wellbeing.

Veterans’ Foundation

The Veterans’ Foundation charity supports veterans and their families through grants and other forms of assistance.

Royal Navy Memories

Royal Navy Memories was a website that is sadly no longer in operation but was composed of a range of interesting information on the Royal Navy.

Armed Forces Health Partnership

The Armed Forces Health Partnership was a joint program between Combat Stress and the Royal British Legion which was funded by the Department of Health with the aim of highlighting and supporting the health needs of serving armed forces personnel and veterans. Regretfully there have been no apparent updates from this organisation in recent years that can be found online.